Frequently Asked Questions

The latest New Mexico public health order prohibits out of state residents from entering Parks. Additional restrictions and hours of operation are in effect. Visitors can check the list of state parks currently operating below. The Public Health Order has been extended through August 28th.

We will continue to provide updates as they become available. We look forward to serving you on your next adventure at a New Mexico State Park.


Which state parks are open?

The following State Parks will be open day-use only:

I am from out-of-state. What do I need to do to go to a State Park?

The public health order has been amended to restrict out-of-state visitors at New Mexico state parks. Visitors to state parks must demonstrate proof of residency or will not be permitted entry beginning Monday, July 13, 2020. Visitors must show one of the following to demonstrate residency: a valid New Mexico license plate, New Mexico driver’s license or ID card, New Mexico vehicle registration, federal document attesting to residency, or military identification.

What are day-use hours?

Please check specific park page for updated hours. Under this limited opening, some parks will be open daily, others may be open only specific days of the week.

Are state parks collecting fees?

On Saturday, May 16, 2020, New Mexico State Parks will resume collecting fees for day-use.

What are the state parks day-use fees?

In general, the day-use fee is $5 per vehicle. In an effort to continue to reduce contact between visitors and staff, we strongly encourage visitors to use exact change or a check when visiting open parks. Please use the self-pay stations where available. The Living Desert Zoo and Gardens charges a per person fee. Visitor centers remain closed making some credit card payments unavailable.

What are the safety and health guidelines for visiting a state park?

Due to the Public Health Order, masks are mandatory in public places and during face to face contact. Anyone coming to New Mexico from out of state is required to self-quarantine for 14 days. No more than 5 people per group, maintain six-foot distance between people, no parking within ten feet of another vehicle. Visitors must carry their own sanitizing supplies and PPE, and practice social distancing. Comfort Stations and restrooms are closed to reduce close contact. Vault toilets at some State Parks will be available.

Are state parks selling annual permits?

Annual Day-Use Permits may be purchased at parks at a cost of $40. The Annual Day-Use Permit is valid for 12 months from the month of purchase. Be advised that no refunds can be made on the annual permits. We strongly encourage visitors to use exact change or a check. Visitor centers remain closed making some credit card payments unavailable. Annual Camping Permits will not be sold during this period.

What day-use activities are allowed?

Boating, fishing, hiking, wildlife viewing, and picnicking in small groups.

Does each state park have its own capacity limit?

Yes, each individual State Park has its own guidelines. Some parks may establish a capacity limit by number of visitors or number of vehicles. Parking spaces may be limited to manage for capacity; vehicles must be parked in a developed site or designated parking space; only one vehicle per site or designated parking space; no parking on roadsides; no parking in undeveloped areas (may vary by park).

Is camping allowed?

No, State Parks are not currently open for camping or overnight use.

What facilities are closed?

Visitor Centers, park offices, comfort stations, group shelters, playgrounds, swimming areas, and special use facilities. Check the specific park site for additional information.

Are State Parks hosting special events?

No, special events are cancelled until further notice.

Can I reserve a group shelter for the day?

No, group shelters are closed in adherence to the Mass Gatherings Order by the Governor.

Can I build a campfire to cook?

No, campfires are prohibited, please adhere to the following Stage II Fire Restrictions: Building, maintaining, attending or using a fire, campfire, charcoal, coal, or wood stove is prohibited. The use of devices fueled solely by liquid petroleum or LPG fuels that can be turned on and off is allowed. Such devices can only be used in an area that is barren or cleared of all overhead and surrounding flammable materials within three (3) feet of the device. Smoking is prohibited, except within an enclosed vehicle or building.

Are park concessionaires open?

Some parks will have concessionaires open; however, their operations will be limited.

Can I go hiking?

Trails are open for day-use only, please hike in small groups.

Are pets allowed?

Pets are allowed at most state parks. At Rio Grande Nature Center State Park and Living Desert Zoo & Gardens State Park only service dogs are allowed. Please remember to bring food and water for your furry friends.

Can I go boating?

Yes, boating is only allowed during day-use hours. Remember to wear your life-jacket. People must adhere to social distancing and no more than 5 passengers per motorized vessel. Marine Enforcement Officers will be patrolling the lakes.

My boat is not registered, can I still get out on the water?

All New Mexico Taxation & Revenue Department – Motor Vehicle Division field offices are open by appointment only. As a result, the State Parks Division will not be enforcing boat registration requirements at this time. Once the MVD field offices are open, you will have a 30-day grace period to register your vessels. Please note that you may renew your vessel registrations online at

May I use the playgrounds?

No, playgrounds are closed.

Is swimming allowed?

Some parks may designated no swimming areas. In areas where swimming is allowed, swim at your own risk. It is recommended that children have adult supervision and wear a life-jacket when they are near the water (e.g., shoreline, river bank).

Can I park a vehicle and/or leave equipment overnight at the park for the weekend?

No, you may not leave a vehicle and/or equipment overnight. Vehicle may be towed at the owner’s expense.

Where can I get more information?

Please follow us on our press releases and social media channels

  • State Park News
  • Facebook
  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • Instagram

    Quick Links

    NM Dept. of Game & Fish

    G&F Logo

    Bureau of Reclamation


    US Army Corps of Engineers

    US Army Corps of Engineers logo

    Bureau of Land Management

    Bureau of Land Management logo

    New Mexico Energy, Minerals and Natural Resources Department ©
    1220 South St. Francis Drive | Santa Fe, NM 87505
    EMNRD Legal Disclaimer